The next Teachers Institute on Parliamentary Democracy will be held from October 30th to November 4th 2016. Applications are due by April 15. For more information go to parl.gc.ca/teachers
What is the Teachers Institute?
The Teachers Institute is an intensive professional development opportunity where you will…
- develop strategies for teaching about Parliament, democracy, governance and citizenship;
- learn from political, procedural and pedagogical experts;
- discuss key issues in citizenship and parliamentary democracy; and,
- take what you learn back to your classroom.
- Meet the Speakers of the Senate and the House of Commons and other parliamentarians.
- Observe Question Period, parliamentary debates and committee meetings.
- Analyze critical issues with political, procedural and pedagogical experts.
- Receive important resource materials that support teaching about Parliament, governance, democracy and citizenship.
- Celebrate excellence in teaching about Parliament, governance, democracy and citizenship.
We invite applications from all new or experienced teachers who…
- have not previously participated in the Teachers Institute;
- currently teach or work in the field of education in Canada (kindergarten to Grade 12, or kindergarten to CEGEP in Québec);
- currently teach or expect to be teaching in a subject area related to citizenship, civics and/or social studies, or work with teachers in those subject areas;
- plan to continue working in the field of education in the province or territory from which you apply until at least June 30, 2016; and,
- are prepared to undertake a follow-up activity to extend the impact of the Teachers Institute.